Friday, September 3, 2010

"Oddball"




















6 x 6 oil on canvas SOLD

Meet Oddball! He is a Mini-Dachshund who was named
for his mismatched eyes. What a precious little face!

When doing a Pet Portrait, I spend so many hours looking
at their photos that I tend to imagine what sort of
personalities they might have. It is fun to see how close
I come to the actual thing so I always ask the Owners to
tell me a little bit about them.

My impression of Oddball was that this demure, sweet
little dog probably had a bit of an attitude. "Yes, I'm cute...
but don't push me!" His Mom says that while he can be the
vocal one in the group that he is in reality a very Good Boy
who loves playing with his brother, Lucky (coming up in the
next Portrait), and sleeps every night guarding his 12 year
Best Friend (the owner's daughter).

14 comments:

Layne Cook said...

This makes me miss Punkie, my childhood pet. He was a dalmation terrier mix with one brown and one blue eye. These are fabulous portraits, Gwen. The pet owners must be thrilled when they see them.

Julie Hill said...

What a great expression you have captured on the canine!

Paintings by Irit Bourla said...

Great Gwen.Your dogs portraits make me smile, big time.
2 more to go, cannot wait.
Have a wonderful weekend and happy painting.

martinealison said...

Magnifique portrait que celui de Oddball... (pour les dalmatiens, j'en ai plus que 2 à présent, lorsqu'ils ont un oeil bleu c'est qu'ils sont sourds d'une oreille, deux yeux bleus sourds des deux oreilles) Pourtant c'est si craquant ces yeux bleus...
Beau travail Gwen.

carol morgan carmichael said...

Great portrait Gwen. I think dogs with slick coats are especially hard to paint. You did a great job with this. Good luck with the next ones.

Ann Rogers said...

Loving these pet portraits, Gwen. You've really captured the personalities in both, anxious to see more of these little guys.

Crystal Cook said...

What a sweetheart! He has such a cute little face :) Great job Gwen!

Barbara M. said...

Hi Gwen,

This is beautiful. I love the story behind it too.

xoxoxoxoxoBarbara

Kim Blair said...

Wonderful Gwen. I have a weakness for Dachshunds... you captured the sheen on his coat with those soft blues, and they in turn, tie in his oddball blue eye, or is the brown one the oddball?
Love the bright green background too.
Kim

Dusty Pines said...

these doggies are really nice - you've caught such individual expressions, and the individual coats, too! thank you - they are such sweeties - can't wait to see the next!

Dean Grey said...

His black fur is wonderfully glossy!

-Dean

Carol Blackburn said...

Wonderful expression......

sam said...

I love these dog portraits Gwen, he looks like a sweet kind dog)

Diana Marshall said...

Especially love this painting, the fur just shines and what a sweet face.
Hope you are feeling better.