Monday, April 19, 2010

Susan Carlin Workshop - phase I




















8 x 10 oil study on canvas

Susan Carlin is one of my favorite Portrait Artists
and a dear blog friend. She had an online workshop this
past weekend! She is such a wonderful teacher with
so many great tips about drawing, painting, values...and
so much more. It was such a treat to see her approach
and learn from this very talented Artist!

I'm pleased with my start. Although the paint is not thick
enough
and I haven't worked on the eyes, nose or mouth,
I think I
managed to find the values. Susan critiques all of
the students
paintings (16 of us!). We will continue to work
on them during
the week and regroup for a final critique
this weekend.

Update: Horror of horrors! I worked it to the point that
he was unrecognizable and wiped it! I'm so disheartened.
Susan was kind enough to critique this "Phase I" image and
encouraged me to try again. Going to give it another go
although I must admit that I'm afraid this one was a fluke.

25 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

Wow, Gwen. This is coming out great.

martinealison said...

Very beautiful work... belle expression.

d'Morais said...

Each time I like most of your painting. I'm surprised. This is the 1st phase? I look forward to the final phase.

Cathyann said...

Gwen,
Great start...I actually though you were finished till I read the whole story.I will check back later.

LindaHunt said...

This is fabulous!

Paintings by Irit Bourla said...

What a sweet face.
Looks good to me.
Need to know how online workshop works.When yo got some extra time okay?

Dana Cooper said...

This is stunning Gwen, I can't imagine it better!

Kim said...

Nice Gwen! It's really looking lovely. I checked out Susan's site - thanks for introducing me to a new artist : )

Dors said...

What a superb start Gwen. This is going to be a wonderful portrait. You have captured the likeness so well.
Sound like your really enjoying this workshop.

I must try one one day... I will have a look at Susan's site.

Angela Elledge said...

What a beautiful little boy and a wonderful painting, can't wait to see this develop further...although, it looks super at this stage!

Crystal Cook said...

Beautiful portrait!! You captured his expression perfectly, I love the look on his face. I can't wait to see it finished :)

Pam Holnback said...

This is a great start!

becky joy said...

Gwen, It came out great. susan's portraits are wonderful and a neat lady. Good job.

Marian Fortunati said...

WONDERFUL...... You and Susan really made some magic!!

rahina q.h. said...

i think you have done a wonderful job so far. looking forward to the final version

Art with Liz said...

Wow Gwen, looking really good!

Dayna Talbot said...

Gwen...Fabulous!!!

Barbara Pask said...

Beautiful Gwen, your drawing looks right on. It was fun wasn't it? Can't wait for the critiques, love that part of it.

Linda said...

Absolutely beautiful, Gwen! What a treat to see this. I can't wait to see the finished painting - although you have such a great start I can't imagine how much better it will be.

I was unable to attend the workshop and would like to attend the next one - if she has another one. Sounds like a lot of fun and a great learning experience. And I have a LOT to learn!! :-)

liz wiltzen said...

Lovely job on the mouth Gwen, the most difficult part, especially when teeth are showing, but you have made it soft and believable, so important. Great work!

Violetta Smith said...

Wow!Absolutely gorgeous painting. It looks perfect to me, now. I can't wait for a finished version.

Edward Burton said...

Wow, Gwen, beautiful job! It's looking fantastic.

Nancy Everett said...

This is wonderful, Gwen!

Dean Grey said...

An excellent likeness, Gwen!

-Dean

Priti said...

You did an awesome job with this one.