Monday, March 22, 2010

"Distant Cousins"














6x 8 oil on canvas SOLD

Had so much fun with the Pepper that I thought I'd try

another subject I've been avoiding. Bananas. Early on I
tried to paint bananas but they always looked weird so
I stopped trying. However, during my latest trip to the
market I was gathering fruit and noticed that the pears
and almost ripe bananas were the exact same color. The
desire to capture them overcame my insecurity.

I thought of the title because of the similarity in color and
skin sheen and actually tried several compositions to see
if I could make the pear appear to be growing with the
bananas but that didn't work out so I went for an interesting
shadow combination instead.

15 comments:

DSM said...

Well, well... mighty fine! I love the concentric strokes in the shadows. Sorta' G. O'Keefe.

Linda said...

This is a nice painting! I like how your shadows begin dark and as they travel outward become lighter and translucent. When I looked at your painting in the larger format I noticed how your brush strokes follow the shapes - very nice. No more banana avoidance for you!!

Caroline Bray Art said...

Excellent and well worth the wait! They look so real and three dimensional, I hope you'll paint more...

Cathyann said...

You can feel their weight..nice work Gwen.

Kim said...

You nailed them Gwen. They have a strong, solid form and delicate colouring. My favourite bit is the cast shadow of the banana - especially the lights poking out. Very nice : )

Jill Berry said...

The shadows are extraordinary...
good looking fruit too!

Barbara M. said...

Hi Gwen,

A lovely painting and I laughed at the idea of
how you might be getting the pear to grow out of
the bananas. Hmmm. The result of your thinking is super, beautiful, perfect.

xoxoxoxoxBarbara

Carol Schiff Studio said...

Lovely, Gwen. Your paintings have a serene quality about them..very desirable. I have to agree with everyone else, the shadows are fantastic.

Ramesh Jhawar said...

Wow, this is so beautiful Gwen!

Dors said...

Superb job Gwen. The bananas are so realistic and love those dark dark shadows.

Rishi Kapil said...

Lovely painting .

Dewberry Fine Art said...

I have had the same experience with bananas. These are fabulous and the cousin too. Your composition is really working along with the way you handled the planes of the banana skin. Very nice and very successful.

Art with Liz said...

My gosh but these are really good Gwen! Scrumptious and delicious!

Dean Grey said...

Gwen, I love it!

This is really well done!

Strong rendering and I see why you wanted to paint the two very different fruit together.

That yellow-green color is awesome!

Smart composition with the bananas above the pear and the dark shadows bring this still life, well, to life!

-Dean

suzanneberry said...

This is STUNNING!!! Gwen, just beautiful!