Tuesday, January 19, 2010

"Green & Blue"...one more time



















6 X 6-ish oil on masonite SOLD

The Carol Marine Workshop was everything
I'd hoped for and more. Her class was focused,
informative, enlightening and gave me so many new
tools for my work. Plus watching her work was a
class in itself. What a masterful teacher! What a fantastic
experience! I learned so much and met such a wonderful
group of new Artist Friends. It was an unforgettable time.
So, you may be wondering why I'm posting an older painting.

Well...I couldn't wait to get back and start practicing what I'd
learned. Now here's the weird part. All of my supplies
were in a bright orange Home Depot tote. You've seen them.
They are pretty large. Unmistakable.

I can't find it.

I know what you're saying; "Did you leave it there?" "Did you
leave it in the car"? "Are you sure you brought it back"? YES!
I DID! My sister even put it in the house for me. I was too tired
that night after driving home(ok, she actually did the driving)
from (almost)Austin to Dallas in the dark, in the rain, so I left
it in the living room overnight.

The next morning I was still too tired to clean up everything
so did the "out of sight out of mind" trick and took it all outside
to my
studio. A few more days of distraction went by and today
when I looked for it...nada, zip, nowhere. I've looked in every
space it could possibly fit in. Even the oven and the shower!
(Stop it...I do weird things when I'm tired.) It could be
anywhere. But not really, because I've looked
literally everywhere.
Here is the only logical explanation I can
come with: Quantum
Physics. It's Schrodinger's Cat theory all
over again. My brushes
and paints are in some quirky
superposition and I'm probably
walking right through them
every time I go to the bathroom.
They are crying "Here we are!"
but I can't see them
just like those Indians who couldn't see the
ships on the horizon. (Watch "What The Bleep Do We Know?" if
you
don't know what the heck I'm talking about.)

I can't paint until I find it! I have about $200 worth of brushes,
medium, turp and my notes in that bag. If anyone from the class
walks through their living room and stumbles over a Home Depot
bag with unidentifiable supplies...They are MINE. Tell those particles
to superposition their little ferrels right on back here where they belong.
And boy-o-boy, are they ever in trouble when they get back!

Until then, I hope you will enjoy some of my older paintings.
Excuse me now while I go scream as loud as I can.

Have A Great Day! (she said, smiling tight lipped through gritted teeth)

31 comments:

Edward Burton said...

Oh, Gwen, I'm so sorry to hear about your missing supplies - I sure hope they turn up soon. It's so good to hear that you had such a fantastic time in Carol's class - she's a wonderful painter.

Megha Chhatbar said...

Oh Gwen! Wonderful painting and a lovely color combo!

Graphite Pencil Sketch: Rajasthani Woman Portrait

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Gwen, I am laughing, but in deep sympathy. How could we paint lively paintings without similarly alive brushes? They do work hard and perhaps needed another day or two off to relax before getting back to rigorous studio time. Good luck being there when they pop back in.

Your workshop sounds fabulous. I'm so glad you got to go. I can't wait to see the work it inspires.

It is nice to see this painting again. I loved it last time, too!

Paintings by Irit Bourla said...

OMG Gwen,
The way you describe the situation, make me LOL but I feel guilty laughing at you.
Actually I feel so bad that my first reaction is to go and buy you some brushes etc. No kidding.
I was looking for new paintings after the workshop and here you are with this story.
Look under your desk, the pantry. God knows.
Let us know when you find it and where?
Hugs, IB

Dana Cooper Fine Art said...

Gwen I'm so excited to see how your workshop with Carol Marine will influence your paintings, I always felt that your paintings have a similar feel...if only those naughty brushes show up again...keep us posted!

Carol Schiff Studio said...

Take a deep breath, close your eyes and clear your mind. When you totally relax, you will find your supplies is the most obvious place.

I have workshop envy!

becky joy said...

I can see the workshop paid off. Energy, bold and beautiful. Exciting to be in the workshop and the painting. You'll probably find your supplies in the most obvious place. They always show up sooner or later. Wonderful work.

becky joy said...

I guess I didn't see the painting the first time. But it looks like you were thinking of Carol Marine's work when you painted this one. Cann't wait to see more.

DSM said...

Like your stuff; just bought your mini-Sorolla.

Kerri Settle said...

Yikes Gwen! I hope it shows up soon. If you have my luck it'll suddenly appear in a very obvious place and act all innocent like it was there the whole time. Maybe it met another tote bag full of supplies at the workshop and they've run off together. Then it will probably return in a few days just looking slightly disheveled but ready to get back to work. I hope you find your supplies!

Mitzi Easley said...

Ooohh noooo... I can't bear to hear it. OK, it's got to be there. Call your sis for reinforcements... another set of eyes. Happy to share my [really scribbled on but still okay] class notes. Loved last week!

dominique eichi said...

I hope you find your bag ! but in the meantime My gosh you made me laugh ! can't wait to see the new work influenced by this workshop.

Chartan said...

maybe if you stop looking it will find you, and the bag will be dark blue?

Lisa Daria said...

It might be with my olive oil, seriously, a whole bottle, poof, vanished - and I'm the only one who uses it.

I hope you find your supplies - the CM workshop sounded like a blast - and I like the perspective you chose for the painting on your posting -

David Larson Evans said...

That is tragic story especially if you don't find them. I am a bit jealous of your workshop trip she is a painters painter and I can't wait to see the effects on your new works.

Dana Cooper Fine Art said...

Your post made me laugh out loud...hope you have recovered the wayward supplies by now. Can't wait to see how your workshop influences your already beautiful work...where are you in Carol's photos?

Ramesh Jhawar said...

Gwen, you did have a wonderful time at the workshop! But I'm so sorry for your painting supplies!Hope you find them soon.The blue in your painting is GORGEOUS!

Gwen Bell said...

Thanks everyone for commiserating and laughing with me. Unfortunately, I think I threw it away with a bunch of trash. My brain was taking little "break" or something. It's the only thing I can figure out. The real tragedy is my notes from the Workshop and my signed Carol Marine book were in the bag. Gone. Gone forever...and ever. And ever. (never mind)

If anyone sees this who was at the workshop and took notes, please scan them and send them to me. So much is irreplaceable. Sniff.

Sheila said...

Oh no!!!! I'm so sorry! Maybe we should start a Help Gwen get new supplies Fund. Or maybe each of your followers can just send you one item you need. That will get ya going....what do you think?

Carol DeMumbrum said...

Gwen, I am so sorry to hear you were unable to find your bag. I am glad you had such a wonderful time at the workshop. I'm sure someone will gladly send you the notes. :) I can't wait to see your next painting—I love this one.

Rodica Voicu said...

I love this painting! Wonderful colors and composition!
Sorry for your missing supplies!

Dean H. said...

I hope that the bag will still turn up. That is an awful lot to lose.
Love your painting. Looking forward to your new ones as soon a you locate your stuff.

Violetta Smith said...

I am sorry for your missing supplies, I hate when this happens, but you made me laugh.

Carol Horzempa said...

This is heartbreaking story, Gwen. I'm sure someone will send you a copy of your notes.

If you do have to replace you paints and brushes this is a good time to order online. So many art supplies stores such as Jerry's Artarama are offering free shipping. Everything is marked way down. I got in on some amazing deals with their coupon offers too and even a set of free brushes.

Love your wonderful little green and blue still live!

rahina q.h. said...

beautiful painting even if it is old (most of us love those old masters:)).
enjoyed reading this hope but on a serious note i do hope you find your materials soon. r.

Lorrie said...

Hi Gwen! I didn't see this one, did you do it at the workshop? It's awesome! You are fabulous!

Carol Horzempa said...

I keep checking back to see if you found your painting supplies, Gwen.

You are such a good writer though that I couldn't help but laugh at first but I really feel your pain. I hope they turn up Soon!

Dean Grey said...

Gwen!

Is it wrong of me to be laughing at this post?

Sorry, but reading that you looked in the oven for your missing art supplies just cracked me up! LOL

In all seriousness, pray to St. Anthony. I always heard you should pray to him when you lose something.

Hopefully that Home Depot bag shows up soon!

-Dean

Dors said...

Hi Gwen. Laughing with you here but very saddened at the loss of your supplies. I do hope they turn up. I know how you feel. can't settle to anything as it stays with you...Where the .....is it.
I sympathise with you... especially the signed book and all you workshop notes.
Glad you enjoyed the workshop.

Diane Hoeptner (hep-ner) said...

Oh my gosh, big bummer! Sorry that happened Gwen. Would love to take a CM workshop!

rachelsstudio.com said...

Yum, love that blue, gorgeous!