Friday, July 10, 2009

"Nino" I



















6 X 6 oil on masonite nfs

This is little Nino, my friend Adriana's Chihuahua,
when
he was a puppy. Her favorite color is red so
this
first study is for her. I put "Nino I" because he's
so
darned cute that I know I'm going to be doing a
few
more of him at this age and a few of him at
the age he is now.

It's really hard for me not to give in and get a dog

in the face of something this cute but I have to
be good because the two Siamese Twins and
my other big cat would make the poor
little thing's
life miserable.

Need to get a better photo of this in good light.

16 comments:

Barbara M. said...

Hi Gwen,

This is great. I think if a puppy comes into a house of grown up cats it's fine. The reverse is also true. My Siamese and my black cat get along just fine with the dog.

Superb painting.

Take care,

Barbara

David Larson Evans said...

He's cute? Damn skippy he's cute !

Rosemary said...

He's precious! Adriana must love this! Glad you are going to paint Nino again. Great job as always!

Jill Berry said...

SO velvety soft.
He forms a cool shape with the shadow.
~carry on~

Dana Cooper Fine Art said...

Gwen, the simplicity of this composition contrasts with the strong color of black, red and white are perfect...I want the dog too!

SYLVIANE said...

This little dog is so cute!

Sheila said...

The red is perfect for his B&W coat! Very stylish!

rahina qh said...

great composition and colours. your style has added such a beautiful atmosphere to this Gwen. r.

Edward Burton said...

He's adorable, Gwen - wonderful job.

Diana Marshall said...

Lovely puppy, you just want to hug him, beautiful painting of him.

Holly Zemak said...

I love the red background, I am sure your friend was pleased.

Diane Hoeptner (hep-ner) said...

Darling!

suzanneberry said...

Gwen, this is perfect! i need to get out of my head and visit more often, i so apologize. this is precious! also, the cats might like a new friend to play with. my dog has just made friends with our neighbor's cat, although that could be because he's too old to chase him. your work is just beautiful.

Becky Drees said...

Stunning!

Michelle said...

Gwen, you are so amazing at painting dogs(...well, at everything really)! You capture their personalities so nicely!

Dean Grey said...

Awesome puppy painting, Gwen!

Cute indeed!

-Dean