Tuesday, April 7, 2009

"Tight Fit"

















6 x 6 oil on masonite SOLD

Well...another day, another painting! I hope I
stay
in this phase for a while. I haven't felt good
for the
past few days (sinus infection) but got the
painting done anyway so
it feels like something
was accomplished.
I set up a few compositions that
are a bit unconventional.
I wish I could say they were
more deliberate but there wasn't that much thought
put into them. I just
wanted to get some references
for the next few days in
case I don't feel like painting
from life. At least I can look at the actual objects for
true color.
Now that I'm looking at the composition I'm noticing it's
not as haphazard as I thought: a round subject within a
round subject, repeat circular and crescent shapes, a
Primary palette that emphasizes the simplicity of the
subjects.
Funny how the subconscious works.

10 comments:

http://www.onpainting.wordpress.com said...

A nice piece. Could you get the apple out afterword?

Cathyann said...

You are on a roll! Very good painting, here, Gwen.

Ramesh Jhawar said...

Hello Gwen!
Only today did I see your comments while I was checking my older posts.Thank you very much for appreciating my work and for following my blog.In one of your comments you had asked me about using radiants.This is the first time I'm hearing about it.Please tell me about it.
Your paintings are wonderful.Do you work only in oil?

L.Holm said...

This is great! I like the composition a lot, and do like the way the "triangles" point to the apple. hope you feel better soon!

dominique eichi said...

nice piece and I like the title the whole thing evokes imagination

Megha Chhatbar said...

Your blog is a treat for the artist...:) I love your work..You are fantastic Gwen!! :)
- Megha
Art on Sketchbook

Megha Chhatbar said...

One more thing...I am your 50th Follower..:) Half century...:))

Edward Burton said...

Beautiful job, Gwen! I hope you are feeling better:)

Jill Iversen said...

Good work! Thanks for painting and inspiring the rest of us!

Dean Grey said...

Gwen, I love this one!

Very tightly rendered with just a touch of being loose for added interest.

I love how the apple is placed inside the colorful bowl. Brilliant and original!

All the colors are great here. Not only on the apple (green with reds), and bowl but the background colors as well (a combo of warm and cool grays.....love that!).

And lastly, the strong black shadows on the side of the apple and underneath the bowl make everything pop and give instant depth.

A really strong painting!

-Dean